Followers

Monday, October 26, 2020

Job #1 - Line Illuminator

“One evening while Farquhar and his wife were sitting on a rustic bench near the entrance to his grounds, a gray-clad soldier rode up to the gate and asked for a drink of water. …Farquhar …approached the dusty horsemen and inquired eagerly for news from the front.

‘The Yanks …have reached the Owl Creek bridge, put it in order and built a stockade on the north bank. The commandant has issued an order, which is posted everywhere, declaring that any civilian caught interfering with the railroad, its bridges, tunnels or trains will be summerly hanged. I saw the order.’

… ‘Suppose a man-a civilian and student of hanging-should elude the picket post and perhaps get the better of the sentinel,’ said Farquhar, smiling, ‘what could he accomplish?’

The soldier reflected. ‘I was there a month ago,’ he replied. ‘I observed that the flood of last winter had lodged a great quantity of driftwood against the wooden pier at this end of the bridge. It is now dry and would burn like tow.’

The …soldier …bowed …and rode away. An hour later, after nightfall, he repassed the plantation, going northward into the direction from which he had come. He was a Federal scout.” (Chapter II) 

While An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge does not recount Peyton Farquhar's capture itself, this passage revealed the duplicity of the supposed "Confederate" scout. Farquhar foolishly trusted this mysterious soldier, and determined to undertake a task for which he, as a mere civilian, was unprepared. The Union scout, on the other hand, undoubtedly reported Farquhar's inadequately concealed intentions to the Union garrison. Thus, when Farquhar stealthily approached the bridge, he probably discovered Union forces fully prepared for his arrival. 

I selected this passage because this story's chronology is "arranged" (if one can properly use that word to describe this story) in a jumbled, unorganized fashion. However, amidst the chaotic storyline, this passage explained the method by which Farquhar blundered into Union custody. In your opinion, does this passage represent an example of Foreshadowing?

21 comments:

  1. Hello Braden! Nice post. I really enjoyed how you described the scene with the disguised Union Soldier. That part was a little confusing to be, but you explained it in such a way that was easy to understand. You are right, the story line is definitely all over the place! I thought it was really interesting that at this time during the Civil War this kind of stuff happened like the capture of civilians. It is too bad that Farquhar was tricked into his death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I am commenting again because the question about foreshadowing was not up yesterday when I initially commented. But to try to answer that question, I think it does foreshadow some event. I just thought it was sketchy that some soldier just shows up at Farquhar's house. But I never thought that the soldier would end up costing Farquhar his life! So that part really surprised me. That's just my thought. I would be happy to hear others' opinions as well about the foreshadowing question. :)

      Delete
  2. I like your post, Braden. I always did find it odd that a "Confederate" soldier would come to Peyton Farquhar's house and tell him military news. It was also odd how the soldier stressed how the Owl Creek Bridge, which was important to the Union forces for the railroad, "had lodged a great quantity of driftwood against the wooden pier […] and would burn like tow" (Chapter II).
    A question that this brings is up is why did the "Federal scout" go specifically to Farquhar's house in particular. Did the Union army really view Peyton Farquhar as that big of a threat to them that he needed to be taken out immediately?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question, Joshua! I honestly think the answer is no, because the book never hinted that the Union army though Farquhar to be a threat.

      P.S. I revised my post above (at Mrs. Jones' request) to include a question.

      Delete
  3. All these posts have good points and are a lot to think about! Going off of what Joshua said, I agree that it was a bit strange that the army felt the need to remove Fahrquhar IMMEDIATELY. As if he was that big of a threat to their purposes. It’s pretty sad that innocent civilians had to suffer in the civil war even though they hadn’t necessarily done anything wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! I FORGOT! During the Civil War, Northern Alabama saw a few battles, but there was a LOT of Guerilla (partisan) warfare going on! So actually, Joshua, I think the answer is YES, because the Union forces had their hands full with bands of partisans, and were taking pre-emptive measures to make sure Farquhar wouldn't join these partisans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh that makes sense, Braden. The soldiers were taking extra precautions to make sure civilians wouldn’t eventually join these Guerilla warfare groups and turn against their armies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good point. But the story still raises questions. For example, if Peyton Farquhar is so young and devoted to the Southern cause, why didn't he enlist as a soldier for the Confederacy? Wouldn't a soldier at least die with more honor then Farquhar did?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The story says that some vague circumstances prevented Farquhar from enlisting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for saying something, Braden. I would have missed that information otherwise. Do you think that although Farquhar was devoted to the Southern cause, he just didn't want to fight (was he a pacifist or something)?

      Delete
  8. In reference to your "foreshadowing" question, Braden, I'm not sure if I entirely understand what you are asking, but I don't think that Chapter II technically counts as such because Chapter I already tells you that Peyton Farquhar was captured.
    If I didn't understand the question correctly, please say so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is interesting how the author tells the reader ahead of time that he gets captured because that's how the book begins- at the bridge. So it's a major "spoiler" in that way. But of course the author I guess was not really going for a surprise. It's more of solemn reality.

      Delete
  9. I agree with you that Chapter 2 is NOT foreshadowing, but (Mrs. Jones said I needed a question and) I wanted to see what other people thought.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Braden. I think it would be easy for the Union army to catch Farquhar because the scout told him what to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great observation Mercy! The fact that the scout lured Farquhar into trying to burn the bridge down is what makes the whole situation so unfair for him. But it was still Farquhar's decision whether to go or not.
      The theme of the scout tempting Farquhar reminds me of the Biblical passage of James 1:14, which says "...but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed." Farquhar, like everyone, was tempted by his own desire.

      Delete
    2. At first I totally thought that the soldier really was a Southern soldier. I was actually surprised to see that he was in fact a Northern Soldier. He did a great job luring Farquhar. You are right Joshua that it was ultimately Farquhar's decision to trust the soldier. That's a great Biblical connection too! Were any of you guys surprised that the soldier was actually Farquhar's enemy? Or did you see it from a mile away?

      Delete
    3. The author does say, "An hour later, after nightfall, he repassed the plantation, going northward in the direction from which he had come. He was a Federal scout."
      But honestly, when I read Braden's post, I was more surprised than I should have been.

      Delete
    4. I wasn't surprised, but rather I merely absorbed the information.

      Delete
  12. I really shouldn't have been surprised, the text said it plainly.

    ReplyDelete